Monday, November 25, 2019

My Parents




I was looking for a specific memento today. I had a good idea where it was, but wasn't certain of the exact box. I climbed under our basement stairs in the alcove that we use as storage and began removing boxes one by one from the shelves. As I took off each lid, I was taken back to my childhood. Pictures, awards, letters, trinkets--these were windows to my past. 

I brought up one of the boxes to share the memories with my kids. In it were a few of my old Awana books (why did I even keep them?). I had told the kids how different the books were from the one that they use now. Today I showed them. We read stories I had written, laughed at silly poems I composed, and realized that once-upon-a-time I wasn't too bad at drawing (when did that change?). 


Tucked deep into the box was a handful of loose stationery dated July 10, 1995. I was 13 years old and wrote this poem for my parents:

I Love You

If I could have one wish,
I'd tell you what it would be.
It wouldn't be gold or diamonds
Or money just for me.

I'd wish for the great parents
That I have today
For they always make me happy
And turn the sky from blue to gray.

My parents love and care for me
And that to me is kind,
And if I look for better parents,
I could never find.

I love my parents very much
Although it might not show.
I wanted to tell them how I felt,
but how I did not know!

I tried to pick Mom flowers 
And for Dad some macadamia nuts,
But whenever I touched the roses
All over my hand I got cuts.

I thought to help around the house
And do some extra chores.
I could vacuum, dust, mop, and clean,
And then wash all the doors. 

But what I wanted to do for them
Was something that would last much longer
Just to show them that my love 
Was ever so much stronger.

The idea finally hit me,
And I knew what to do.
I would write them a poem
that said, "I love you!"



I decided to share it here, not because of my rhyming skills, ha, but because all those years ago I wanted to give them something that "would last much longer." It's been 24 years, and though I had forgotten about the poem, my feelings are the same. 

My parents truly are the greatest. Now I get to see their love toward not only me, but my husband and 5 children, as well. Selfless. Giving. Loving. 

We are beyond blessed. 


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment