Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: George Washington Cupcakes

On Presidents Day in the the midst of studying Revolutionary War weapons, watching videos of firing cannons, and reading multiple books, I mentioned that the next day was George Washington's birthday. Jake, in his five-year-old innocence, asked "How old is he gonna be? Are we invited?" That inspired me to have a birthday party for him. Why not? The Father of Our Country deserves a celebration. 

I like using my free boxes of cake mix and tubs of frosting when we make cupcakes. I measure the ingredients. The kids do the rest, every bit of it from opening the box to washing the dishes. I get to stand by taking pictures til my heart's desire. That is a dangerous thing.



I'm not sure if Alyssa liked the batter . . .   


Alyssa made sure Jake did a good job, telling him, "There's more dirty on there," if he missed a spot. 

Their favorite part was assembling Washington's face using marshmallows, Skittles, Smarties, Mini M&M's, Gummy Life Savers, and Sour Patch Kids.
 
They each got a candle in a cupcake as we sang Happy Birthday to George Washington FOUR times. As they were eating, we had this conversation:

Jake:  "Mmm, these are delicious."
Me:     "You guys did a great job."
Jake:  "You did too, Mommy."
Me:    "Me? I didn't do anything." 
Jake:  "Yes, you did. You set the timer, put them in the oven, and took them out." What a kid!

Washington said, "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man." I have a feeling that didn't apply to me when I told Jake that Washington's favorite color was green. Hey, you never know. It may have been!
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Love those faces on the cupcakes! What a cute idea! I also love the picture of them washing the dishes- so cute!

    ReplyDelete