Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Cinnamon Swirl Bread

As soon as I mention the word cinnamon, Jake's eyes go wide and ears perk up. I'm sure I could put cinnamon on anything, and he would eat it. I've also mentioned how much we like breads. Then, what could be better than cinnamon swirl bread?

Ingredients:
1 large room temperature egg             1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup milk                                          3 1/2 cups bread flour
3/4 cup water approx.                           2 tsp active dry yeast
1/4 cup softened butter                        1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1/3 cup sugar

Filling:
1/3 cup melted butter, cooled                1 egg white
1/3 cup sugar                                         1 1/2 tsp sugar ( for the topping)
3 tsp cinnamon

Directions:
1. Put the egg and milk in a measuring cup, and add enough warm water to make 1 cup. Pour into the bread machine pan. Add the softened butter, 1/3 cup sugar, salt, bread flour and yeast. Set the bread machine to the dough cycle. When it beeps, add the raisins if using. Let continue to end of cycle.

2. Once done, remove the dough from the machine and dump it out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll it out to a 10×12 rectangle. Brush the surface of the dough with egg whites. Next, brush with melted butter. Combine the cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle over dough, leaving 1 inch edge all around.

3. Roll the dough from the short side, and pinch the ends together where they meet. Roll the ends under, and place the dough in a greased 12 inch loaf pan. Cover and let it rise in a warm place for one hour.

4. Once dough has risen, brush the top with egg whites and sprinkle with 1 1/2 tsp sugar. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes.


Oh. My. Goodness. This bread is good. It tastes like one big cinnamon roll. In fact, I must have thought that was what we were making because I rolled the dough into a 16x21 inch rectangle. I had to ball it up and start over. I was concerned the dough would be over-worked, but it was still delish. Also, I don't have a 12 inch loaf pan. I squished the dough into my 9 inch pan.

While the bread isn't as good as our cinnamon rolls, (Is there anything that good?) it will be added to our bread list. I also read that this bread is great for French toast. Truly though, I would have to make 2 loaves for that to happen. We eat it too fast!

I had a revelation today. I know, this is going to sound obvious to some, but it just hit me. Like 2 seconds ago. I have always used bread machine yeast in my bread machine. Makes sense. But, I use it for making dough in it also. I'm guessing that I should use regular active dry yeast when making just dough since it rises after too and will rise better. Leighton already gave me the go-ahead to try it tomorrow. What a guy! We might make that French toast after all. 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment