Saturday, April 30, 2011

Cinnamon Rolls: Take Two

Nope, it's not Tuesday. But I asked my family yesterday if they wanted cinnamon rolls. It was more of a rhetorical question. I just like seeing their eyes get wide and hearing the excitement in their voices, "Yes! Yes! Yes!" 

We have a recipe that we love, but I have been dying to make Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls. They  claim to be the Best of the Best. I have read about these rolls on multiple blogs. Everyone adores them.

I had to make them.


 And make them I did. I prepared the dough last night and assembled the rolls this morning. My family impatiently waited for them to rise a final time before baking. I'm not so sure that cinnamon rolls are considered the breakfast of champions, but no one seemed to mind.

I really, really wanted to love these. Really. I mean, it's Pioneer Woman's recipe. The maply-coffee flavored icing is one of those things that you're going to either love or hate. It was so good, Jake and I could slurp it through a straw. Leighton and Alyssa didn't care for it. Once it was poured on the rolls though, you could barely taste it. The whole thing melded into one flavor. The icing is thin enough to pour and seeps into all the nooks and crannies. Once it all soaked up, it was more of a glaze than the frosting we love.

Don't get me wrong, the rolls were delicious. They reminded me of coffee cake or a cinnamon roll doughnut. As far as good ol' cinnamon rolls though, everyone asked me to stick with our usual recipe.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment