Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Soft Pretzels

Soft pretzels - big, soft, chewy, salty - what's not to love?

Collect your ingredients.

Dump everything into the bread pan. (Well, maybe not the fruit.)

Set the machine to the dough setting.

Be fascinated by the mixing dough.

Feel free to grab a magnifying glass to get a better look,

Realize that this is the worst dough you've ever worked with. Wash your hands vigorously for 10 minutes.

Using plenty of flour, roll out your gluey dough.

 Or smoosh it into your chosen shape.

Forget that you're making pretzels, and toss the dough into the air like a pizza.

Be sure to make some edible jewelry. It's all the rage, you know.

Once you're done playing, brush the tops with a beaten egg.

Sprinkle on salt.

Bake and enjoy!
You'll  notice that I did not include the recipe this time. There's a reason for that . . . it's no good! Ok, maybe I'm being a bit harsh. They do taste like pretzels . . . mostly. And they look like pretzels . . . a tiny bit. But the dough is a nightmare to work with unless you add another 5 pound bag of flour while shaping the dough. 

I chose this recipe for its simplicity. Ironic, huh? Needless to say, my quest for a good homemade soft pretzel continues. 

At least we had fun!


Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I love this post...it made me smile like so many of your post do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember which recipe I used last time I made pretzels. . .could have been out of my Julia Child book. But it was good. Here is a recipe from King Arthur Flour (I get good results with recipes from them) http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/hot-buttered-pretzels-recipe . Also, did you boil the pretzels? That helps. Oh, and I don't know about Michigan, but in Tennessee I always have to watch my dough as it kneads because of the humidity. In the summer, I use a little less water than the recipe calls for and watch in case I need to add more flour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, that's because I write about some of your favorite people! :)

    Melodie, thanks, I'll have to try that recipe! No to the boiling part. I found many recipes like that, but went the easy route this time for the kids. That's what I get, I guess! I'm not sure humidity was the problem this time. It's been in the 40's again!

    ReplyDelete