Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Cherry Cobbler

Since I had 4 pounds of cherries, I figured I should make something with them. I mean, did I really want my kids eating all 4 pounds raw and dripping staining cherry juice all over their clothes, trying to spit out the pit. Nope, I have enough laundry as it is. 

Like I said before, I don't like cooked cherries. But really, does that matter? I find enjoyment in baking for others. What were we going to make though? After much debate, I settled on a cobbler.

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons butter, melted                               1 cup white sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour                                         1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt                                                 1 cup boiling water
1 teaspoon baking powder                                   3 1/2 cups fresh cherries, pitted
1/2 cup milk                                                          3/4 cup white sugar
 
Directions:
1. Mix 3/4 cup sugar, butter or margarine, flour, salt, baking powder, and milk together. Place cherries in the bottom of a 9 inch square pan. Spread dough over cherries.
2.  In a small bowl, combine 1 cup sugar and cornstarch. Stir in boiling water. Pour mixture over the dough.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes. Serve warm.
Pitting the cherries is by far the best part of making this cobbler, or any fresh cherry recipe for that matter. Jake loves the cherry pitter. It makes him feel strong and manly when the pit pops out the end. This was Alyssa first time trying it. She struggled at first, but eventually got the hang of it. The first time she heard the thump of the pit, she got the biggest smile and proudly announced, "I DID IT!!!" (We won't mention the 5 pits we found in the finished dessert. Shh, don't tell her.)

We were at my parents' house when we made this, so I did most of the preparation myself. My helpers were too busy playing and getting spoiled to be bothered by something as simple as a cobbler. They assumed I could handle it by myself.

I can handle it by myself, right? It's been so long. I almost don't know how to cook or bake without 1 child on the counter, 1 on a step stool, and 1 hanging on my leg. 

I sure hope I didn't forget anything.

So much for not liking cooked cherries! The cobbler was delicious. (Apparently I don't need their help after all. Who knew?)

The cherries were just right - not mushy, not too tough. The sauce was not too runny, but not too thick either. Gooeyish. The crust was not as tasty as my usual cobbler topping, but it was good. Overall, I was pleased.    

I guess my cooked-cherry hating days are over. I feel so empty, so lacking purpose. What is left for me to loathe? Oh, that's right . . . anything spicy. Whew, all is right in the world again. 

And now I know I can use up the remaining pounds of cherries by adding pounds to my weight! How exciting!
Pin It

1 comment: