Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Make It Monday: Shaving Cream Leaves

I've wanted to do shaving cream painting with the kids for a while now. The beautiful colors of autumn leaves gave us the perfect opportunity to grab some supplies and make a mess.

Who cares that it's 70 degrees out and the kids asked if it's still summer.

Bring on the fall!

 Squirt shaving cream into a shallow dish.


 Spread it around to make it as smooth as possible.


Squirt paint in various fall colors onto the shaving cream and gently swirl it around.

Note to self: Buy orange paint!


Press a cardstock leaf lightly on the mixture.


 Remove the leaf and set aside for a few minutes.


Repeat.

Repeat.

Repeat until you run out of leaves.


 Scrape off the shaving cream leaving the paint behind.

This step is slightly messy.

Ok, this step is extremely messy. But totally worth it.


I realized that the more I scraped the popsicle stick across the leaf, the more the paint colors spread and blended. It would have been easier to set the leaf down and use a large piece of cardboard to scrap off the shaving cream in one swoop.


And the finished product!

I probably should have put the leaves up and taken a picture before it got dark, but you know, life happens.

Jake thinks we need to make more for the window. There are still a few empty spaces.

I'm sure we'll be shaving cream painting again. What I'm not sure of is whether they had more fun painting or more fun taking a shaving cream bath afterwards.
Pin It

13 comments:

  1. This is on our To Do List! I am so anxious to test it out!

    Would love to have you share on my child centered linky party - The Sunday Showcase: http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/search/label/Sunday%20Showcase

    Bern

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so much fun to make!

    Thank you. Such a great collection of kids crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh these are soooo cool! We were going to do some shaving cream on paper crafts this week, but I'm going to switch it to leaves because this is just too cool! I would love it if you would link up some of your great ideas on my new Monstrously Creative link party! I'm featuring some great ideas this week, and yours could be next! Come join the party!
    Mandi at BBM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cute! Can't wait to try it! Lorie @ Reading Confetti

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping by with some fun news! Your leaves have been featured on this week's Sunday Showcase! YAY!

    Be sure to grab your posh featured button - you deserve it!

    Thanks for linking up & sharing your fun idea last week. I hope you will join us this week - http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/search/label/Sunday%20Showcase

    Bern

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for linking this up to Monstrously Creative Saturday! :)

    Mandi at BBM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Visiting from BBM Linky Party... What a FUN idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! Your awesome idea is FEATURED on our Monstrously Creative Saturday! Come grab your button and take a bow! Also, link up some other monstrously creative ideas while you're there! Thanks for being such an inspiration!
    Mandi at BBM

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you shared for Throwback Thursday! This is such a cute idea, and I think even my older kids will enjoy it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! I wonder if this would be too messy for the co-op preschool class....Hmmmm.
    Wondering how long they took to dry.
    Thanks for stopping by and sharing on Throwback Thursday Blog-Style! I can't wait to see what you share this coming Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good morning. I just wanted to let you know that this post was randomly selected as this week's featured post on Throwback Thursday Blog-Style!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the great idea -- going to save this to my file on fun and easy crafts to do with the kids.

    ReplyDelete