Thursday, February 9, 2012

Theory Thursday: Balloon in a Bottle

There are things that I hide from my kids:

1) Presents - I hide the obvious things like birthday and Christmas presents, but since I'm always searching the clearance racks and purchasing gifts when they're super cheap, I often have things that need to be kept hidden for up to a year. Also, sometimes I like to pick up little gifts for them and save them for a "rainy" day. It fun to spread out the surprises.

2. Mint Oreo Cookies - I admit, I don't let my kids know when they're in the house. I rarely splurge on them, and when I do, I don't want to share. I'll eat 1, maybe 2 at a time so they'll last me a while. The kids would just gobble them up without taking the time to truly enjoy them.

3) Balloons - If I have any plans for a pack of balloons, I have to keep them hidden. There's just something about kids and balloons. If they know we have them, they want to blow them up and play. They play for a while, purposely pop the balloon, and ask for another. It's a vicious cycle. I need to buy 2 packs at a time: 1 for playing; 1 for projects.

I just so happened to have a pack of balloons I brought home recently that I was able to keep away from my little ones. They certainly came in handy for this experiment they did with their daddy.


Grab your balloons, a hammer, nail, and plastic pop bottle (the bigger the better.)


 Using the nail and hammer, make a hole near the bottom of the bottle.


 When that doesn't work, switch to using a drill.


 It worked!


Dangle a balloon inside the bottle. Stretch the mouth of the balloon over the mouth of the bottle.

Then, blow up the balloon, put your finger over the nail hole, take your mouth away from the balloon, and remove your finger from the hole. 

Sit back and be amazed!



Wasn't that great?!?


Ok, it didn't exactly work as planned. In fact, it didn't work at all. It's supposed to flip the balloon inside out. The air in the bottle was pushed out the nail hole when the balloon was inflated. When you remove your thumb, air rushes back into the bottle. At the same time, air rushes out of the balloon. The combination of forces is strong enough to turn the balloon inside out. Supposedly. We never saw it. And we tried - over and over again. Leighton thought maybe the hole wasn't big enough, so air wasn't rushing back in fast enough to flip the balloon.


Don't worry, he remedied the hole situation.

Notice the balloon was red and changed to blue? Don't let a child attempt to blow up a balloon if you plan to inflate it afterward. That is unless you like slobber-covered balloons.

They tried a few more times with the bigger hole, each producing the same result - nothing. Jake said, "I don't think they tried this before putting it in the book." I don't think so either, buddy.

So, this Theory Thursday experiment was busted. (I didn't intend on the balloon pun, but it made me laugh regardless! Ha!) Either way, the kids had fun trying it. Did you hear those giggles??? Makes me smile every time. Learning isn't about always getting the result you expect, but by trying new things and observing the results. That made this experiment completely worth it.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment