Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Tasty Tuesday: Turtle Cake

My kids have very refined palates. The other day we dined on sea serpent.

Today, it's turtle.

What, you've never tried turtle? You really should. It's delicious.

We're preparing to let Agent T, our foreign exchange student that has been studying with us the past 6 weeks, head back home to the river. The kids are devastated. I admit, I'm not overly pleased about it myself, and that surprises me. I am not an animal person, but I've greatly enjoyed our time with it. There are many reasons why we're letting it go that I'll explain at another time. Anyway, to lessen the blow of saying goodbye to their friend, I suggested a going-away party to see him off. And what better food to eat than turtle? No, not Agent T, of course, but turtle just the same. Not only is it tasty, it's quite simple to make, too. In fact, the kids prepared it completely by themselves. Well, the main dish anyway. I did help with the garnishes. 


I'll show you how to prepare the food - in just 12 easy steps.
  1. Cut open bag.
  2. Dump contents into a bowl.
  3. Pour in water.
  4. Pour in oil.
  5. Crack eggs.
  6. Dump eggs into bowl.
  7. Mix well.
  8. Place liners in muffin pan.
  9. Fill liners with batter.
  10. Pour remaining batter in greased round cake pan.
  11. Lick spatula.
  12. Stick head in bowl and lick all remaining batter.

Easy enough, right?

After the cake, ahem, turtle meat is cooked and cooled, prepare your garnish. Somehow I missed taking pictures of this step. Pretend that you see Alyssa and me adding butter, shortening, powdered sugar, vanilla, salt, and heavy whipping cream to a bowl. Don't bother pretending to see the powder poof onto the counter though. That would just be silly - and messy - and we would never do that. *ahem* Assume that we divided the frosting special sauce into 2 bowls and added cocoa powder to one to make it brown and food coloring to the other to make it green. Presume that we garnished the turtle meat with the appropriate colored sauce and plated it along with various embellishments (mini chocolate chips and tootsie rolls for eyes, mouth, and tail.)

Whew, that was quite the workout for the imagination!

Here is the final product, plated and ready to be savored.

Doesn't that look appetizing???

The kids could hardly wait to dig in.


The verdict?

They loved it!!!


They gobbled it right up. (I told you they have refined palates!)

And despite what you've heard, it tasted nothing like chicken.


Farewell, Agent T. It's been nice getting to know you. If you're ever in the area, feel free to stop by.

It'll give us another reason to celebrate with turtle!
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. I thought you were serious there for a minute. I thought I was going to need to close my computer because just the other day my husband was trying to talk me into eating groundhog. Ummm...yeah. Don't think that is ever going to happen.

    Cute turtle, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you make a cake groundhog, I would totally eat it! ;)

      Delete
  2. That is so cute! My kids would have fun helping me recreate this turtle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't say that I blame the kids for eating that turtle. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. omgosh, your kids are hilarious! I had to click on the sea serpent link. The pictures are hysterical! Whoever said, "Don't play with your food" was sooooo wrong!

    ReplyDelete