Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Koru Naturals

As a member of the Schoolhouse Review Crew, I get all sorts of great curriculum and learning products for the kids. We've gotten online subscriptions, physical books, CDs, DVDs, games, and so much more. Every now and then I get something just for me. The latest products for review, pure Emu Oil and Koolpurrie Restoring Balm, from Koru Naturals fall into that "something for me" category. 

I've always been a "products" girl. Multiple lotions, dozens of makeup colors, choices of shampoo--different options to match how I felt. I had products for any issue or desire. And while I grew up using homeopathic remedies for illnesses and overall health, my beauty care choices weren't so natural. That is until several years ago. I remember the day, as I shooed my toddler away from the bathroom I was cleaning, I realized that if it was harmful for my little ones to inhale the fumes from the popular commercial cleaners, then it was harmful for me to as well. Since that day, I've worked to switch our home and beauty products to ones that are natural and mostly homemade. No more do I have multiple products filled with harmful chemicals whose names I can't pronounce. I've learned that less is more and that I can make my own products with a few natural ingredients.
I've gathered a small collection of oils for my DIY projects. Whether I'm making a blend to wash my face using the Oil Cleansing Method, in a mixture to make a lotion, or as a carrier for essential oils, I have choices. I was excited to add emu oil to my stash. Emu oil is a traditional Australian Aboriginal natural oil. Unlike the oil from some companies, this one is unclarified, fully refined, and all natural ingredients. Emu oil is moisturizing, yet non-comedogenic, so it won't clog your pores. It has many proven benefits for uses because it's filled with vitamins, minerals, and essential fatty acids.

I tried the oil the first night I had it. I put a tiny bit on the tips of my fingers and spread the milky white liquid across my face. It took a long time for it to completely soak in. That's when I decided to learn more about it. The Koru Natural's site plainly states, "If after any application it feels greasy, it means you have used too much." Yep, even the tiny bit I used was too much. From then on, I've used just a drop or two and have had no issues with it absorbing. There was one other time when I used more than a couple drops. I had deep cleaned my face with a bentonite clay mask for he second time that week (those pesky postpartum hormones were ruining my clear complexion!) I rinsed off the mask and discovered dry, flaky skin soon after. I grabbed my bottle of emu oil and applied it to the dry patches. The next morning, I reapplied the oil. By evening, my face was rehydrated.

I do not use the oil over my entire face every day, but I do use it around my eyes like an eye cream nearly every day. I started gently patting the oil around my eyes and then wiping the excess across my closed eye lids and lashes. I knew that castor oil was good for hair growth, so I figured that the emu oil wouldn't hurt. I didn't really think much about it, until I was applying mascara one day. Are my eyelashes longer? Yes, they're definitely longer! I had long, thick lashes when I was younger, but multiple pregnancies have changed more than my waistline. I researched emu oil hair growth and found that has indeed been proven to help. Now, I've been using clean mascara wand and squirting out some of the oil directly on it and brushing it on my lashes. Because it is a thicker oil, it doesn't just drip off the wand and make a mess. It's easy to apply and easy to  clean. I have been pleased with the results.
The other product I chose specifically for my 2-year-old. The Koolpurrie Restoring Balm is made with that same premium emu oil (remember, very moisturizing) and pure lanolin. The balm was "specifically formulated to penetrate, soften and rejuvenate skin that is dry, discolored, scaling, calloused and cracked." In other words, it would be perfect for the patch of eczema on my toddler's leg. After just one application, the area was noticeably better. After two, it was back to a soft, little baby leg. Honestly, it worked that quickly. I have used many different remedies over the last two years. The best one I had found was a blend of essential oils mixed with a carrier oil in a roll-on bottle. This restoring balm works even better. I'm not saying it forever healed his eczema. We have had to use it a few times over the course of the last 6 weeks or so, but it has tremendously helped until the next flare up. We've also used it on chapped faces from playing in the snow and dried noses from continual blowing. Every time, it quickly works to heal the dry skin and restore moisture. Because you need only a tiny dab to get the job done, the small container of balm lasts a long time. We have used it quite a bit and have made only a dent.


These products, and all the products from Koru Naturals, are made from pure, natural ingredients and can be used with all ages. Not only do I like that these are made with only 1 or 2 easily-pronounced, top-quality ingredients, but I love that they do what they claim to do in healing and enhancing the body. I would definitely purchase from this company in the future.


Koru Naturals offers many other products. Some of the Crew members reviewed some of them, like lip balm, lanolin cream, and manuka oil & honey shampoo and conditioner. If you'd like to read more reviews of these products, please head to the Schoolhouse Review Crew page. You can also connect with Koru Naturals on Facebook and Pinterest.

Crew Disclaimer
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment