Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tasty Tuesday: Apple Pie

I got an early Christmas present yesterday: a new oven! The first thing baked in it was an apple pie, per Leighton's request. 

Pie Crust (double recipe)
Ingredients:
1 cup vegetable shortening
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold water

Directions:
1. Mix shortening, flour, and salt together with a fork or a pastry blender until very crumbly. Add as much water as needed to hold together, and mix lightly with a fork.
2. Roll gently on a floured pastry cloth to about an inch larger than pie plate. Fold carefully in half, lift to pie plate, and unfold. Press into pan.

Have I ever mentioned how much I love my food processor?
 
Patiently waiting to be filled.
Honestly, I'd rather buy pre-made crust because it's so much easier to work with, but Leighton prefers homemade. I was pleasantly surprised though with this recipe. I had no trouble at all.
 

 Apple Pie
Ingredients:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3  tbp. water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 tbp. vanilla
8 apples - peeled, cored and sliced

 

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
2. Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Gently pour the sauce over the apples. Pour slowly so that it does not run off. Cover with crust.
3. Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F.  Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.


This was my first time making a double crust pie. Odd, since the crust is my favorite part. As I said, I don't like making it though. I usually top my pies with a crumble so I only go through the hassle once. It's a love/hate relationship.


I blame the crust for the lack of apples in the pie. I know that there should be a heaping mound of apples, but  I must have been anxious about still having to make the top crust. Or maybe I should blame the kids since they put in the slices. Hmm . . .

Brushing some of the sauce on top.

Ready for the oven.

Well, I survived the double crust. And I know it'll only get easier with practice. I wonder if my family would be willing to let me try.
 
Ready to be eaten.

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I've been looking all over for a double-crust apple pie recipe. My 5th grade Junior GS troop is coming over on Saturday to make pies to donate for Thanksgiving (and to work toward their cooking badge), and one of the girls wants to make a double-crust apple pie (I gave them a choice of pumpkin, dutch apple, or double-crust apple). I was getting so frustrated, but then I thought to myself, "I'll bet Erika has a recipe." Of course, you used a homemade crust. I had to chuckle at your preference for the premade crust. We are going with premade Pillsbury crusts for ease (we're making 5 pies).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes, the crust. Your brother just won't give me a break and let me buy it. ;) I admit, homemade is better. I've made it multiple times since this and it has gotten much easier.

      Good luck on Saturday and have fun!

      Delete