Saturday, July 2, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Banana Bread

It's no secret that Jacob and Alyssa love to help in the kitchen. They've made cupcakes by themselves (like these rainbow cupcakes and George Washington cupcakes) a few times before. This week, I had some bananas that I had been hiding from Zac (Hey, don't judge. That kid's addicted to bananas!) so we could make bread. I measured the ingredients and then invited Jacob over to whip up a delectable treat.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.
Ingredients: 
2 cups all-purpose flour                              1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon baking soda                              3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon                                  2 eggs, beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt                                         2 1/3 cups mashed overripe bananas

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar. Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture; stir just to moisten. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.

Jake was busy peeling . . .

Mashing

Cracking

Beating

Pouring

Dumping

Mixing

Portioning

Posing
He did such a great job making the bread! I helped scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl to make sure he incorporated all the flour. Other than that, he did it all by himself. He insists I helped though since I put it in the oven. Hey, the kid's got a point. I should take some credit, right?

While Jake was mixing he asked, "Do I have to - What's that called again? - fold! Do I have to practice folding?" Remember, I taught the kids about that while making Boston cream pie. See, he was paying attention! He did a mighty fine job of it too. Maybe I'll let him try a meringue next time.

We (or should I say he) also topped the loaves with a flour/sugar/cinnamon mixture to give it a little crunch. The mini loaves were done in roughly 45 minutes. I could barely get them out of the pan before the kids were shoveling hot bread into their mouths. Zac took a bite, said "mmm," stuffed the rest in his mouth, and asked for "mo!" I think he may have enjoyed it.

 

So, whether you have forgotten bananas or hidden rotten bananas, be sure to make a batch of this yourself. 

Or allow your 5-and-a-half year old son to make it for you.


Pin It

10 comments:

  1. We love banana bread here. I may have to try your recipe since I have not been able to find my own. :) Thanks for following from the crew...following back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love cooking with kids! Stopping by and following from the crew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chocolate chips! Next time, try adding chocolate chips! It is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy!! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm following you back from the Crew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, everyone!

    Melodie, sometimes we add chocolate chips and such, but Jake hates it. Odd, I know. :) I meant to add it to a couple loaves, but forgot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny, we just made some banana bread for the first time today. I will have to try adding the topping next time, I bet that's good! If I had read this earlier today I would have known to do that. Oh well, there are so many new crew members it's taking me some time to make the rounds. Can't wait to see what else you have in store for us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your loaf pans! Where did you get them?

    Blessings,

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I love banana bread!! (Fellow crew mate stopping by.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lori, definitely add the topping. It's reeaaally yummy!

    Heather, it's a stoneware pan form Pampered Chef. I love it too!
    http://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=3912&catId=9&parentCatId=9&outletSubCat=

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, I didn't get a slice! Great job, Jake.

    ReplyDelete