Saturday, August 27, 2011

Things That Make Me Smile 8/26/11

1. Leighton and I went away for a long weekend . . . by ourselves. We haven't done that in 6 years. Six years! It was wonderful. There is no one I'd rather be with 24 hours a day. But, it was a little strange leaving the kids with my parents. Ok, it was a lot strange. I was constantly feeling like I was forgetting something. "Hmm, I have my purse and a bottle of water. What am I missing??? Oh yeah! Three kids . . . and a diaper bag, and snacks, and toys." It was refreshing though to be alone with my Love for 4 days. Hopefully we won't wait another 6 years before we do it again.

2. Right before we walked out the door to drop the kids off at my Dad and Mom's, Jake ran to get the framed picture of Leighton and me that he keeps next to his bed. "Every time I miss you, I can look at your picture." And he did.

3. We talked to the kids on Skype the night before we came home. Or at least, we tried to. We talked; they mostly made silly faces at themselves in the camera or wrestled with my dad in the background. We didn't have much of a conversation, but we had plenty of laughs.

4. We bought a huge jar of whole pickles. You know, the one's that are too big to even fit in their little mouths. All 3 kids love pickles and were ecstatic! They would eat bread & butter pickles every day if they could. These were dill though, so they were a little sour. Jake said, "It's pickly enough to pickle out my appetite." Not quite sure what that meant, but 1 pickle was enough to satisfy him.

5. As I said in my last post, Jake started soccer this week. He has asked every single day when his next practice is. He told me, "I wonder what we're going to learn at the next practice. I already know how to dribble." If you know anything about Jake, you understand that this is a typical statement from him. He is my cocky little boy who thinks he can do anything and everything the best. One practice and he knows how to dribble. No need to practice more. The boy has a lot to learn - about both soccer and life. For now, his cockiness is somewhat amusing.

6. Our pastor started a study on the church itself on Wednesday night. In his introduction, he talked about what the church is, what it is not, and why we need it. Jake, who was sitting there perusing a LEGO magazine and seemingly in his own world, looked at me and said, "I know why we need the church. It's because we need to learn about Jesus." Even when sometimes you think they're not listening, they're listening.

7. Not only is Jake old enough to play on his first sports team, but he's old enough to have his first 2 loose teeth! He told me, "I have a secret for you." I leaned down to hear his whispers in my ear. "I have a loose tooth." I thought, "No, that can't be. You're just a baby!" But as I  felt in his mouth, I wiggled not 1, but 2 tiny bottom teeth. His smile was huge! Mine was bigger.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment