Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Tasty Tuesday: Breakfast Burritos

¡Bienvenidos! Cinco De Mayo is quickly approaching. The fact that we're not Mexican, nor do we actually celebrate the holiday, isn't going to stop us from eating Mexican inspired foods! In fact, I even made chicken quesidillas for dinner.

Ok, so it was mostly because I had leftover chicken from the rotisserie we made the other day, but whatever. 

I like to make these burritos for Leighton for the mornings. He starts work at 6:00 am and doesn't always have  time to eat a sit-down breakfast before rushing out the door. He does, however, have time to grab something out of the freezer and pop it in the microwave. (I also make freezer breakfast sandwiches and waffles and like to keep muffins and quick breads on hand for variety, too.) The burritos are quick, easy, and filling. But more importantly, they're tasty!

I have fond memories of these burritos from when I was young.  I can remember watching my mom and aunt assemble these while we were visiting family in Texas. Later, my mom, dad, and I sat around the kitchen table with big bowls of fixings and made them again as a family. Now, I can build memories with my own little ones. What better way is there to bring a family together than food?


Cook the sausage until it's no longer pink.


Sauté the onions and peppers until soft.

I used a combo of green and chocolate peppers. And unfortunately, no, it does not taste like chocolate. Boo.


Scramble your eggs. Add salt and pepper as desired.


Dump everything into a HUGE bowl.


See that coffee cup? See the bowl? There's your size reference. Yes, I make a huge batch at a time. I don't want to be making these things up every week.


Give it all a good mixing.


Realize you forgot the cheese - oh, the horror! - add it and stir again.

Or you could just add it before mixing the first time. But where's the fun in that?


Place a healthy portion (healthy being a relative term) on a tortilla.


 Pull the ends in and roll from one side to the other.


Yum! You can either eat it now or -- Wait, what am I saying? Definitely eat one now.


The rest you can wrap and save for later.


I keep these in a freezer bag . . . in the freezer. Just make sure you zip it closed so they stay fresher longer.

Grab a burrito or two when you're rushed in the morning or anytime you want a hot, yummy meal. Pop it in the microwave for a minute or so, depending on how big your burritos are. This time, I used some taco-sized tortillas and mostly fajita-sized tortillas. (And yes, I'm still calling these "burritos.") I got 40 burritos altogether. Even my kids love these, so a batch doesn't last all that long.

As with any recipe, feel free to change the ingredients/amounts to your liking. Add some jalepeños for heat or potatoes for roughage or change up the flavors of cheese. Make the recipe your own. Also, the amounts can easily be decreased if you don't want enough to feed an army.

Do you eat breakfast burritos? What ingredients do you like in it?





Breakfast Burritos
Ingredients:
2 lbs rolled pork sausage
2 onions, chopped
2 green peppers, chopped
3 dozen eggs
3 cups salsa
5 cups shredded cheese (I used colby-jack.)
tortillas

Directions:
1.Cook the sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Pour off grease and dump sausage into huge bowl.
2. Cook the onions and peppers in the same skillet (already coated with sausage grease) over medium heat for 5 minutes or until tender. Dump into huge bowl.
3. Crack eggs in large bowl and whisk (with milk, if desired.) Pour into skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until desired doneness. Dump into huge bowl.
4. Add salsa and cheese to bowl and combine thoroughly.
5. Warm tortillas in microwave.
6. Place desired amount of mixture onto each tortilla and wrap, bringing in each side and rolling closed. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in a freezer-safe bag or container.
* To Heat: place a burrito in microwave for 1-1 1/2 minutes, depending on size of tortilla and amount of filling 
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I will definitely have to give these a try. I make sweet potato and black bean burritos (that my husband loves) and freeze them too but you have to heat them in the oven.

    ReplyDelete