Saturday, March 20, 2010

"As is the mother, so is the daughter."

Today, the five of us celebrated Alyssa’s second birthday. Jacob helped wrap presents, Alyssa helped bake the cake, and they both helped lick the bowl clean. Birthdays are definitely exciting! Watching kids open presents is the best part though. Seeing their eyes sparkle as excitement bubbles over with anticipation ensures the fact that “it is better to give than to receive.”

Alyssa, like any other child, was very eager to open her gifts. Unlike most children though, she was very particular about it. She would pull a piece of paper off the package and run to the garbage to throw it away just to get another piece and do it all again. While I appreciate that she wanted to keep things neat, it would have taken forever! So, we explained to her that she didn’t need to worry about the garbage. Alyssa, being so much like her mother, resorted to placing every single piece of paper in a pile. God forbid she make a mess!

It is humorous to me to see what traits of mine she has picked up. It reminds me of Ezekiel 16:44, “Behold, every one that useth proverbs shall use this proverb against thee, saying, As is the mother, so is her daughter.” So true. I’ve mentioned how the women in my family are very alike. So many things my mom did when I was growing up I thought were pointless or a little extreme. I now do those same things, such as cleaning the entire house before leaving on vacation, loading the dishwasher a certain way (and rearranging it after someone else fills it), and placing everything in the pantry in their respective places. I also have a lot of the same pet peeves like cupboards being left open, clothes hanging out of drawers, and things being a mess.

My little girl is already following tradition. She refuses to eat if there is even one crumb on the table. “Daddy, mess.” He usually replies, “Yes, Alyssa. It’s ok, eat your dinner.” She knows I understand though. “Mommy, mess. Nap-nap” Like so many things, Mommy rushes to the rescue and gives her a napkin. You can’t blame her . . . “As is the mother, so is her daughter.”


Pin It

1 comment: