Friday, August 12, 2011

Things That Make Me Smile 8/12/11

Here we are at week two of Things That Make Me Smile. It's hard to believe that a week has passed since I posted the first one.

1. Jake woke up sick on Monday. The poor boy felt absolutely miserable. During one of his trips to the bathroom, he asked, "Can you pray that I won't be sick anymore?" It brought a smile to my lips and tears to my eyes. We prayed right there in the bathroom.

2. He asked a little later, "Am I just going to be sick today." After being assured that this was probably the case, he said, "Then I can't wait til tomorrow." (He was actually feeling 100% by early afternoon and no one else even felt queasy. Prayer works!) 

3.  I was trying to explain to Alyssa and Zachary that Jake had a stomach bug and didn't want them climbing all over him. Alyssa asked, "Is it like a crawly bug? Did it climb into his mouth and crawl down his throat into his belly?"   

4. I've been trying to incorporate more fun into their lunches. I like using our cookies cutters to make fun shapes in their sandwiches. This week, I made Alyssa a flower using Clementine orange segments for the petals and a cucumber stem. It was a hit! We've done it multiple days since.

PB&J sandwich with edible gel face, mandarin orange petals, & pickle stem

5. Zac and I practiced letter recognition using the letter pretzels. We got in some learning and a snack! I love listening to him say the letters. "Eeeeeee! Oooooo! Sssssss!"

6. While Jake was cleaning his room: "This room is going to be as clean as an apple!"

7. Jake finally figured out how to pump his legs on the swing! Now he can really get himself going without a push. He's always loved swinging, but needed someone to push him. It makes me happy that now he can have fun even when I'm too busy to play.

8. Jake woke up and cuddled with me on the couch for a few minutes. When I yawned, he asked, "Why are you tired?" I replied, "Well, I've already been up for a little while. I read my Bible and prayed. I made my bed, cleaned the bathroom, emptied the dishwasher, and folded some clothes." His eyes got huge and his jaw just about hit the floor. "You did all that while I was sleeping?!?"

9. Alyssa was picking itty bitty flowers (weeds) for me. Jake came over with a flower behind his back too. He said, "I just had to stop swinging and pick it for you since it was the prettiest one."


10. Zac's nose had been running all day. Like a typical toddler, he'd let the snot drip down without a complaint. I walked over and wiped  his nose. He cheerfully said, "Dank Do!"  (thank you)

11. Alyssa fell off Jake's bed and hit her head on the bookshelf. As I was comforting her, Jake decided to cheer her up by "spraying" himself in the face with whipped cream, pretend banging his head on a chair and falling over, balancing toys on his head, and such. It didn't take long before she was laughing so hard that she was falling over on the floor (no head hitting this time.)

12. Jake and Alyssa were playing that they were getting married. They both got dressed up. While Jake was laying out a red blanket for a walkway and constructing a Lego cake, Alyssa was extremely giddy. "I'm getting married! I'm getting married!" She was giggling like it truly was her wedding day.


Pin It

1 comment: