Sunday, March 24, 2013

Tyler's First Birthday


1 year

365 days

8,760 hours

How do they go by so fast?

Wasn't it just yesterday that he was born?

And I'm sure it was the day before that that we had realized our family was not yet complete

So then, how are we celebrating Tyler's first birthday???

I always heard people say that the older you get, the faster time seems to go by. And it's true. Time is evaporating like water drops on a hot summer's day. I can't even agree with the saying that the days are long, but the years are short. Even the days themselves are short. I often feel discouraged because I couldn't complete everything that needed to be done. There just aren't enough hours in a day. 

I'm not saying that the days are a breeze. They're hectic. And loud. Busy. And loud. Never-get-a-moment-to-think. And did I mention loud? 

My 4 little ones are with me every single minute of every single day - and I truly wouldn't want it any other way (though I would appreciate if they took naps or played quietly by themselves every now and then, ha) - and the days are mostly pretty crazy. 

And yet, I find myself saying Why are you growing up so fast? Why are you getting so tall? How did you get strong enough to do that? Stop growing up! I just want to freeze time and keep my babies as babies just a while longer. I want to revel in the craziness that comes from raising and schooling 4 children. I want to soak in each milestone. Cement each memory. Lengthen each day. 

Never again will I get this past year back. Never again will I dress him in those itty-bitty baby clothes. Never again will I watch him learn to crawl. Never again will I smile at his newborn cry. 

Of course, there are plenty more firsts and precious experiences to come. And I want to immerse myself in each one. To savor each moment. Because they will never happen again. Time is  funny thing. We think we have so much of it. And then it's gone. I want to be here every moment for my kids. I want them to know just how very much I love them, that they are my greatest ministry.


As I sat here and read Tyler's birth story again and reminisced about that day, I got teary-eyed. These monumental days always make me nostalgic. I think about all that he's been through in his short life and the stories we'll tell him when he's older. We'll tell him that he was so excited to meet us and came 4 weeks early, just in time for his big sister's birthday celebration. We'll talk about how he got sick and spent nearly 2 weeks in the hospital. We'll give the details of rushing him there in an ambulance because of his reaction to the medication. We'll recount how he always smiled and never complained, no matter how much pain he was in. We'll talk about how much his big brothers and sister always fought over who got to play with him and who was "always hogging him." We'll tell him how much he adored them too and mimicked what they did. We'll mention how he absolutely loved bananas. We'll say that he still wasn't walking at a year old and how that was completely ok with mommy because that meant that he was still going to be a baby a little while longer. We'll tease him about being a mama's boy and never wanting anyone else, about making mama hold him constantly. We'll vouch that he's always been the sweetest boy.

Over the years, we'll add to the stories. The memories will grow. Our hearts will get bigger.

Though I don't understand how we could love him even more.

But I know, we thought the same thing just yesterday. 


Tyler Joseph Leaf
5 lbs. 10 oz.  19¾ in.
March 24, 2012 4:12 p.m. 


2 months


 5 months


7 months


10 months


1 year


Happy Birthday, Ty Juice. We love you, sweet baby boy.

Pin It

8 comments:

  1. What a total joy he has been this past year. I can't imagine loving him any more than I do now either (but I will).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pictures. I can relate to wanting to make the most of every moment-my baby is now 4.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cutie!

    New follower from The Crew. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet, happy little boy! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darling! I love the series of photos. The years fly by don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although we may not call him it forever, he will always be our Baby Boy. And, have you ever noticed how happy he is?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, so sweet!! Happy Birthday to your little man :)

    ReplyDelete