Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Word of the Year: 2018


When November rolls around and everyone starts preparing for Thanksgiving, I begin praying about my word for the next year. That one little word that will be my focus for the next 365 days. I've explained in previous years how this is different from resolutions in that this word is more of a redirecting of my life. It's a process with no specific end goal. This journey is meant to impact our lives and change them indefinitely.    

Prior years have been purge, praise, and teach. (I had no idea just how much that last one was going to perfectly fill needs in our life during my recovery, but God knew.) 

For the past 3 years, I've had multiple options for my word floating around in my head for weeks. I'd pray about the choices and wait for God to narrow it down for me, to make that word obvious to me and ingrain it on my heart.

This year . . . nothing.

Oh, I tested out a bunch. I'd hear a word and think, "Hmm, that might be a good one," or "I think I'd like to make that my focus next year." But that was it. It was just my own desires that were intrigued. The end of the year was nearing, and I was getting worried. "Lord, what do you want me to make a priority in our home? Which word should we improve in our lives?"

And every time, He'd answer in a whisper. Just a faint reply, but each time audible enough that I heard. 

Give.




This word had already been impacting our lives in an increasing amount the last many months. I think I was looking for a flamboyant display for a new direction, but instead, God had been weaving this passion quietly into my heart for some time. 


give, verb:
  1. freely transfer a possession 
  2. provide or supply with

Give. Time. Money.

Leighton and I are entering into our next stage of parenting. Our oldest is 12 years old and nearing those teenage years. His skills have advanced to the point where he can do just about anything around the house. Our youngest is 3. And though I desperately miss the coos of a baby and the unsteady steps of a toddler, I admit that his ever-growing independence is kinda nice. My kids still require a lot of me--especially adding in the home educating aspect--but my days are no longer filled with feeding and changing and getting-to-nap and soothing and all those things that a tiny one demands. I'm no longer in the someone-needs-me-every-second-of-every-day stage. The days are busy (obviously, because I am just now posting this 10 days into the new year, ha), but it's a different kind of busy. 

For years I had to step back from certain ministries because of my greater responsibilities. I was still involved, for sure, but there were some activities I could not volunteer to serve in because my little ones needed me, all of me. 

As my kids require less of me in their quest toward self-sufficiency, there's more of me available for others. I want to give of my time, my attention, my prayers, my concern. I want to be willing to minister more at church or help in the home of a friend. My family is my main responsibility, my number one ministry, but I want to make the time to give of myself to bless others.


But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.
Hebrews 13:16


Money. I know, it's not something people like to talk about. Everyone has needs. And, let me just say, with 5 kids in the house, someone is always needing something. Shoes--what do you mean they're too tight? Pants--why can I see your ankles? Socks--holes already? And you can imagine how much food is consumed around here. 

But, oh, the blessings and ways in which God has supplied. From my husband's well-providing job to the money-saving deals I find to the generosity and hand-me-downs of others, we find that every need is met and so many desires are fulfilled. We don't always have the best of the best, but how could we not be thankful when God cares for us so? 

Giving has been manifested throughout my whole life. My parents are the most giving people and have monetarily helped others in countless ways, and my husband has had benevolence imprinted on his heart ever since he depended solely on the gifts of others. But there is still a limit to our giving. 

I want to push that limit this year. 

That's a bit of a scary thought! And the reason I was hesitant to acknowledge that whisper of His reply. Trust me, I have a whole list of ways in which I could spend that money. (Home renovations, anyone?) But I truly feel that now is the time to focus on helping others. 


Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, when it is in the power of thine hand to do it. 
Proverbs 3:27


Our focus for 2018 will be giving of our time and money. Just like Jacob built an altar to solidify his commitment and Joshua set up a stone memorial as a testimonial of God's provision, this Word of the Year is my accountability to follow through with His leading. May God use us to bless others and teach us valuable lessons in return.




You can read more Word of the Year posts from my friends on the Homeschool Review Crew blog.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment