Thursday, August 9, 2012

Happiness Happens

Yesterday was Happiness Happens Day! It's a day set aside to focus on the happiness that happens around us each and every day. It's so easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of living, to focus on the busyness, to acknowledge only the negative. It is a day to ignore all that and survey your life. Blessings are everywhere. If you're looking for them, you'll be overwhelmed. That's one of the reasons Things That Make Me Smile has become one of my favorite parts of the blog. It helps me to look for the happiness. It helps me be more aware of the blessings and humor in life.

The kids and I talked about some things that make us happy. There was a lot of discussion that accompanied the main points, but I certainly could not keep up with their excitement and random thoughts. Here's the list point-by-point. One kid would mention something, and the others would agree. I put the happiness under the child who said if first (except for the first thing on each of their lists, since they hadn't heard the others say it, but added it all on their own.)

Jake's List
Jesus!
Legos
Sugar Cookie (toy bear)
church and the pastor
and of course Jesus
and that He made a way for us to go to Heaven and He made it easy, too
Mommy
Daddy
Batman
that I'm older than both my brothers and sister
a great mommy
skeletons
money
masks - that scare Alyssa
glow-in-the-dark stuff
when Baby Ty Juice smiles at us
snakes

Alyssa's List
Jesus
going on vacation
baby bunnies
my favorite dresses
lipgloss
my picture when I was a baby
tea parties

Zac's List
Jesus!
Jacob!
coffee!
Baby Ty Juice!
Aaaaalyssa!
Peanut butter & jellyyyyy!

Tyler's List (as translated by Mommy)
brothers and sister who love me very much
Mommy & Daddy
hugs
kisses
milk
 
Mommy's List
Before I could say anything, Jake said, "I know what - Daddy." Daddy's always at the top of my list.
4 healthy little Blessings
being a stay-at-home, homeschooling mommy
fantastic parents we can call our best friends
a relationship with my merciful Savior
books, lots of books
kitchen gadgets (food processor, crock pot, bread machine, rotisserre oven- to name a few)
canning
folded laundry
a clean kitchen
coupons/saving money
mint cookies & cream ice cream
hearing my kids giggle
hearing "I love you"
hugs and kisses (even slobbery baby kisses)
ice water
geocaching
warm, fudgy brownies
organizing
hearing my kids make their Happiness Happens Lists

 . . . and on and on and on 


Obviously, there are many more things we could add (house, electricity, running water, heat/ac, vehicles, food, insurance, job, etc.) Happiness is everywhere if you take the time to notice.

If you're happy and you know it, comment below!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment