Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Make It Monday: Magnetic Sticker Set

This is another busy bag that I made for our recent vacation. I've seen magnetic sets in various stores and have wanted to buy them all. There's just something so cute and fun about little magnetic scenes. 

The problem? 
They are way too pricey. 

Easy solution? 
Make your own.

I looked through my oodles of stickers from my scrapbooking days. I found 3 sets that worked well together. Then, I bought a box of magnetic sheets at Michaels. After that, I simply placed the stickers on a sheet.

I shouldn't really say simply. It was more like strategically. I wanted to get the biggest bang for my buck, you know? I fit the pieces in as tightly as I could while still leaving room to cut.


 
The box I bought came with 3 magnetic sheets. All the stickers didn't even cover half of 1 sheet. I bought the sheets nearly 2 months ago, so I don't remember the exact price, but I think they cost somewhere around $3 after my coupon. That means that the sheets cost about $1 each. (See, this is why I'm qualified to homeschool my children. Ha.) Between the stickers I had lying around for years and using a portion of 1 sheet, this activity cost less than $0.50 to put together. Now that's worth my money! 


I picked up a couple little metal suit cases, also from Michaels on clearance for $0.20 a piece. (Have I ever mentioned how much I love that store???) We store our magnets in one, but you could also use an Altoids tin, Ziploc bag, pencil pouch, etc.


The container doubles as a playing board! It's the perfect size to throw into a purse or diaper bag.


But when we want a bigger playscape, we play on a cookie sheet too. If you're using this as an on-the-go busy bag kit, you could also use a small pie tin if you don't want to lug around a big ol' cookie sheet. I just keep a cookie sheet next to my seat in the van for all our magnetic activities. It doesn't get in the way (in fact, you don't really even notice it) and it's always ready for fun. You can also use these magnets at home on the refrigerator or a metal filing cabinet. 

The kids love playing with these! I am very pleased with how they turned out. They were incredibly easy to make and very cost effective. I already have lots of ideas for more sets that I want to make!

I may still be drawn to the sets in the store, but no more do I have to lament not buying them. From now on, I'll just head home and make them myself!


Linked to Show-And-Share, the Sunday Showcase, TGIF Linky Party
Pin It

9 comments:

  1. I did this with my kids before a roadtrip & it was a HUGE hit! Thanks for sharing & linking up at TGIF! Have a great week!
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! Do you know if Michael's still sells the magnetic sheets? How thick are they? Are they difficult to cut?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imagine so. I got another pack from Jo-Ann's this summer, too. They are very thin and so easy to cut with good scissors! I've made multiple sets for the kids since then.

      Delete
  3. Oh my, what a wonderful idea. I never knew you could buy magnetic sheets. We have a Jo-Ann's an hour away, maybe the next time I am up there I can convince the hubby to let me go take a looksie. Thanks for stopping by and sharing with Throwback Thursday Blog-Style. I can't wait to see what you share this week.

    ReplyDelete