Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Zachary's Birth Story

An era has ended. My baby boy is not a baby anymore. This realization brings tears to my eyes. I know, he's still the same little boy I kissed a million times yesterday. The same one I squeezed over and over. The same one whose love fills my heart. The only thing different is that a full calender year has passed. One year ago, I could not wait for time to pass. Now, I long for it to stand still. 

That Tuesday afternoon, my brother Gary stopped by after work to visit. I had been getting antsy since it was my due date and had no baby yet. When Eileen, my midwife, came for my prenatal appointment, Gary took the kids to McDonald's. The check-up went fine. I was saddened to hear that the baby was still posterior, but was starting to accept it. Still no contractions. Still no labor. Eileen left a jar of cumin on my counter, joking about how it worked to start labor for another lady. 

3:00 p.m. -- As soon as she left, I called Leighton, as I always did, to tell him about the appointment. 

3:16 p.m. -- I began to feel extreme pressure. Crazy pressure. I decided to take a bath. 

3:18 p.m. -- I called Leighton back and told him to come home.

3:21 p.m. -- I called my mom. "No, I don't think I'm in labor. I just need you. Leighton is an hour away." 

3:23 p.m. -- I figured I should probably let Eileen know. "Maybe I'm in labor."

3:35 p.m. -- My mom and Eileen showed up at the same time. Gary came back with the kids.

3:40 p.m. -- My mom wanted to fill up the birthing pool. Nope, no time. 

3:58 p.m. -- Leighton miraculously made it home.  

4:02 p.m. -- Zachary Allan Leaf was born at home in our bathtub. 

So many details fell right into place. God was looking over us that day, just like every day. 

Zachary Allan Leaf
7 lbs. 15 oz. 20 3/4 in.
Nov. 3  4:02 p.m.

2 months

5 months

8 months

10 months

1 year

He came quick and hasn't stopped. He rolled over at 5 weeks, crawled at 5 months, and walked at 9 months. He has to keep up with the other two kids. He loves to laugh and loves to play.  Zac is the sweetest little thing. We are so blessed to have him in our lives. 


Pin It

5 comments:

  1. You made me cry. Wonderful story and told with such love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ZACHARY
    Love, Papa and Gramma

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading your birth story! It WAS such a wonderful experience for me, too! Can I share this story on my fan page?
    kisses to the birthday boy!
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for linking up your story! I LOVE it! I can so relate to the discouragement when baby hasn't come yet! My second came on her due date and my third--one week old--came 12 days late! I can't believe your entire labor was an hour! That is amazing!! My most recent one was 3.5 hours--and I was shocked at how fast it went as well! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that was an amazing story. I love reading birth stories. I wish I had been able to have home births.
    Thanks for sharing on Throwback Thursday Blog-Style. I love looking back. I can't wait to see what you share this week.

    ReplyDelete