Sunday, January 4, 2015

Word of the Year: 2015

 
I first heard of choosing a Word of the Year 4 or 5 years ago. Instead of making a list of resolutions, the plan is to focus on one little word for the entire year. Honestly, I can't recall ever making a New Year's resolution (why wait until a certain date to make changes that I can start today?), but the idea of a Word of the Year intrigues me. 
 
I prayed for days for God to show me what word should be my focus in 2015. There were 3 words that I considered, but 1 word that continually came to mind.

PURGE.

Maybe it's because we just celebrated Christmas and the house is overflowing with new blessings.

Maybe it's because just a few weeks ago we added another member to our family and now have an abundance of baby items everywhere. 

Maybe it's because there are 7 of us living in less than 1,300 square feet.

Maybe it's because we just have way. too. much. stuff.
 
 

purge, verb: 
  1. to clear of something unclean or unwanted.
  2. to remove or eliminate.
  3. to rid of something unwanted.

I love cleaning and organizing. Ok, maybe the cleaning part is that I revel in the finished product more so than the chore itself. Clutter is stressful to me, so I'd rather get the house in order before enjoying any leisure. And with 5 kids, there's always something that needs order. I spend my days go-go-going, and I enjoy it. It's how I'm wired. But lately, I feel as though I'm spending too much time trying to maintain all the "stuff" we own. Like I said, I thrive on organization. I love the process, the outcome, all of it.

But it shouldn't consume all my time.

I've realized that I don't want to spend my days maintaining everything. I don't want to be so caught up in  controlling the mess. I don't want to be a slave to possessions.

Purge.

I did take part in a 40 Bags in 40 Days challenge last year. The goal was to go through your house and declutter a bag a day for 40 days. I'm not sure exactly how many bags and boxes were filled and removed from the house, but it was a lot. Some things were trashed, others were sold, and more still were donated.

It was invigorating!

But I need to do it again. And again. And probably again.

Don't get me wrong, we have been blessed--so blessed-- with what we have, and I am truly thankful. But now it's time to bless others: strangers, friends, my own kids with my time.

It is my goal of 2015 to purge things from every area of our house. Clothes. Toys. Things. Stuff. Junk.

Our drawers are filled to the tops. The closets are full. The toys are in abundance.

2015 will be spent focusing on culling our possessions. The fewer things we have, the less time I spend making sure the house is orderly, and the more time I have for other passions.

Purge: helping me rid our house of the unnecessary and giving me more time in the process.


Do you choose a Word of the Year? What is your word for 2015?

  
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment