Saturday, September 8, 2012

National Read A Book Day

Have you noticed how many days celebrate reading? There's Mother Goose Day, World Read Aloud Day, Dr. Seuss Day, and lots more. Today is even International Literacy Day. You don't have to twist my arm to make me take part in a day devoted to reading, reading, and more reading. In fact, many of the fun days we celebrate, we spend an abundance of time in books (sea serpent day and leap day to name a couple.)

Thursday was National Read A Book Day. Yea, more reading! Of course, I'm pretty sure there was a typo when the holiday was registered. They meant to claim September 6 as National Read Books Day, at least for those in the young crowd who are not yet reading novels. 

I had each child pick out a book to read. Then I picked out a few myself - some we hadn't read in a while and a couple we never even read before. It's crazy to think to we have books that have not been read with all the reading we do around here, but when your children's library is well over 600 books and you often allow the kids to make the selections, a few stories tend to fall through the cracks. 

Speaking of books, yesterday I bought another 20 (Shh, don't tell my husband. He already teases me about my book obsession.) from Salvation Army for a grand total of $4.00.  I found some really great ones for school and a few for just because. Leighton is making me another set of bookshelves for our schoolroom. I'm so excited! I can't wait separate the books and use my label maker to organize them. Just think, it'll make things so much easier to find books of the same topic when celebrating national days. 

Oh, how I love books.



If you didn't participate in Read A Book Day, don't worry. Remember that today is International Literacy Day! Take time today either with your kids or by yourself and read a book or even writeyour own. Practice those literary skills. Your mind will thank you.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment